Navigation

Qualifier dumps new papa Tsonga

Reuters

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga leaves the court after losing to Adrian Mannarino on Tuesday at the Monte Carlo Masters.

The Associated PressMONTE CARLO (AP) — Back on court for the first time since the birth of his son, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was upset by a qualifier in the second round of the Monte Carlo Masters on Tuesday.

The seventh-seeded Tsonga lost to fellow Frenchman Adrian Mannarino 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-3 in the first big tournament of the clay-court swing.

Novak Djokovic, playing his first match on clay since winning the French Open last year, was kept on court for more than 2½ hours by Frenchman Gilles Simon.

Back from an elbow injury, Djokovic looked a bit rusty and made a flurry of unforced errors, but the two-time champion prevailed 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 to move into the third round.

Simon broke for 5-4 in the decider with a forehand down the line, but Djokovic won the next three games and sealed victory when his opponent sent a forehand long on match point.

No. 16 seed Pablo Cuevas joined Djokovic in the third round with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Joao Sousa.

A two-time semifinalist at the Country Club, Tsonga had not played since losing his opening match to Fabio Fognini at Indian Wells in early March. Tsonga then took time off following the birth of his first child, Shugar, on March 18.

The 10th-ranked Tsonga led 3-0 in the first set, but then struggled with the good mix of baseline shots and slices from Mannarino.

Mannarino broke Tsonga six times and will next face Lucas Pouille or Paolo Lorenzi. Pouille advanced to the second round with a 6-2, 6-4 win over American Ryan Harrison and Lorenzi defeated Marcel Granollers 6-2, 6-4.

Veteran Tommy Haas, the oldest player in the draw at 39, ousted Frenchman Benoit Paire 6-2, 6-3 to set up a meeting with ninth-seeded Tomas Berdych in the second round.

Kvitova eyes return from attack

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova said she has been making “good progress” in her recovery after being attacked by a knife-wielding intruder last year and hopes to be able to compete at the French Open next month.

Kvitova said in an Instagram post that her name appears on the Roland Garros entry list because she signed up for the clay-court Grand Slam tournament, even if she will not necessarily be able to play.Speech

Click to play

0:00/-:--

+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.