Jiji PressFUKUOKA/OITA (Jiji Press) — The death toll rose to 27 on Wednesday, a week after torrential rains started to hit the northern part of the Kyushu southwestern Japan region.
Two of the three people found in a state of cardiopulmonary arrest in the city of Asakura, Fukuoka Prefecture, earlier on Wednesday were confirmed dead, local police said.
In Asakura, 19 other people have already died. The death toll also includes three each in the Fukuoka village of Toho and the neighboring city of Hita, Oita Prefecture.
Twenty people remain unaccounted for in Asakura, and one in Ukiha, another Fukuoka city. Mudslides make the search for the missing difficult.
The isolation of 110 people in two districts in Hita was relieved on Wednesday morning, when roads linking the areas and the city center were restored.
About 1,000 people were still evacuated in Fukuoka and 270 in Oita.
Abe announces financial support
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visited disaster areas in the two prefectures on Wednesday.
In Asakura, he offered a silent prayer for victims.
Speaking to reporters, Abe said the government will act as early as possible to provide special financial support to affected areas and people.
In Toho, he met local residents staying at an evacuation center and promised that his government will make all efforts to bring them back to normal life as early as possible.