Navigation

Japan vows to continue pressure

Jiji Press TOKYO (Jiji Press) — Japan will continue to pressure North Korea to abandon its nuclear and missile programs, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said Friday in response to Pyongyang’s acceptance of Seoul’s offer of high-level talks.

“There’s no change in our stance of maximizing pressure through all methods in order to make North Korea change its policy,” Suga said at a press conference.

Suga’s comments came after the South Korean Unification Ministry said earlier on Friday that Pyongyang has accepted Seoul’s offer to hold talks on Tuesday, the first inter-Korean talks since December 2015.

Suga underscored the need to carefully watch North Korea’s next move following its acceptance of the resumption of talks with the South.

Suga also said that an agreement between the United States and South Korea on Thursday to postpone joint military drills “won’t jeopardize efforts to strengthen pressure on North Korea.”Speech

Click to play

0:00/-:--

+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.