Veteran CB Cromartie calls it quits

The Associated Press

New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie, right, runs away from the Eagles’ Casey Matthews in a game in Philadelphia on Dec. 18, 2011.

The Associated PressNEW YORK (AP) — Veteran cornerback Antonio Cromartie announced his retirement from the NFL on Monday.

The 11-year pro with four franchises posted a message on Instagram saying “after 27 years of playing football, today I say farewell.”

An All-Pro with San Diego in 2007, when he led the league with 10 interceptions, Cromartie was one of the NFL’s best cover cornerbacks for much of his career, making four Pro Bowls. He also scored the longest touchdown in league history, returning a missed field goal by Minnesota for a 109-yard score in 2007.

Cromartie, 33, spent his first four seasons with the Chargers, making the playoffs each year. He then joined the Jets and made the AFC championship game with them in 2010, his first of four straight seasons as a starter in Rex Ryan’s defense.

He spent 2014 with Arizona, returned to the Jets in 2015, and finished his career in 2016 with Indianapolis.

Cromartie’s ball skills, size (188-centimeters, 95 kilograms) and speed made him a desirable commodity even though he was an inconsistent tackler and often gambled in coverage. The Chargers selected him 19th overall in the 2006 draft.

“To The San Diego Chargers and the Spanos Family, thank you for believing in me,” Cromartie wrote. “Thank you for taking a chance on a young kid from Tallahassee, Florida who did not play much in college. You believed in my ability and my potential to play at a professional level, and I will forever be grateful.”

Raiders dump troubled Smith

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) — The Oakland Raiders released pass rusher Aldon Smith on Monday after his latest run-in with the law.

The Raiders retained Smith’s contractual rights even as he spent the past two seasons on the NFL’s suspended list.

But the team decided finally to cut ties one day after San Francisco police said authorities were searching for Smith in connection with a domestic violence allegation.

San Francisco police said Monday an arrest warrant has been obtained for Smith stemming from allegations that Smith assaulted a woman on Saturday.

Smith left before police arrived to respond to the 911 call and authorities are working with Smith’s attorney to arrange a time for him to surrender.

Smith is facing misdemeanor charges of willful infliction of corporal injury, assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, false imprisonment and vandalism, according to Sgt. Michael Andraychak.

Forte to retire as Bear

CHICAGO (AP) — Matt Forte plans to retire as a member of the Chicago Bears.

The two-time Pro Bowl running back told NBC Sports Chicago on Monday that he will sign a one-day contract so he can officially go out as a Bear. Forte announced last week he is calling it a career after 10 seasons.Speech

Click to play


+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.