Navigation

Source: China restarts review of Qualcomm’s NXP purchase

BloombergBEIJING (Bloomberg) — Chinese regulators have restarted their review of Qualcomm Inc.’s application to acquire NXP Semiconductors NV after having shelved the work earlier in reaction to growing trade tensions with the U.S., according to people familiar with the matter.

China’s Ministry of Commerce officials have been asked to hasten the long-delayed review of the purchase and Qualcomm’s proposed remedies to protect local companies, said the people, asking not to be identified because the talks are private. Chinese companies have expressed concern that the combined entity would extend Qualcomm’s patent licensing business into areas like mobile payments and autonomous driving.

The approval, if it comes, would mark another step back from a trade war that had threatened to engulf the world’s two largest economies. On Sunday, U.S. President Donald Trump stepped in to rescue ZTE Corp., the Chinese telecommunications equipment maker that had been in danger of failing because of a ban on buying U.S. components. In a Twitter post, Trump said he’s working with China’s president to give ZTE “a way to get back into business, fast.”

Qualcomm approval is not definite at this point and could still be delayed, the people said. Qualcomm declined to comment. Mofcom didn’t respond to a faxed request for comment.Speech

Click to play

0:00/-:--

+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.