Navigation

Ross: U.S. to pursue alternatives for ZTE sanctions

AFP WASHINGTON (AFP-Jiji) — U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Monday he was looking for “alternative remedies” to replace the sanctions that forced Chinese telecoms giant ZTE to essentially cease operations.

He also said he expected Chinese officials to raise the issue in talks in Washington this week on behalf of the company, which was cut off from U.S. technology products for violating U.S. sanctions against North Korea and Iran.

“ZTE did do some inappropriate things. The question is, are there alternative remedies to the one that we had originally put forward,” Ross said following a speech.

“And that’s the area we will be exploring very, very promptly.”

ZTE was fined $1.2 billion in March 2017, but last month it was hit with a steeper sanction, prohibiting U.S. firms from supplying it with needed parts after the Commerce Department found the company had lied multiple times and failed to take actions against employees responsible for sanctions violations.

“This egregious behavior cannot be ignored,” Ross said at the time.

But U.S. President Donald Trump made a surprise announcement on Twitter on Sunday, offering to intervene to prevent the company from shutting down.

“President Xi of China and I are working together to give massive Chinese phone company ZTE a way to get back into business, fast,” Trump tweeted.

“Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!”

That move stunned many observers due to the president’s unusual if not unprecedented move to intercede directly in a law enforcement matter.

Ross said that, while he expected Chinese officials would bring up the issue this week, “our position has been that that’s an enforcement action separate from trade.”

He noted that the ZTE case showed China remained dependent on U.S. technology.

Trump waded into the issue again on Monday afternoon with another tweet, but the purpose was unclear.

“ZTE, the large Chinese phone company, buys a big percentage of individual parts from U.S. companies,” he said on Twitter. “This is also reflective of the larger trade deal we are negotiating with China and my personal relationship with President Xi.”

Vice Premier Liu He — considered President Xi Jinping’s right-hand man on economic issues — led talks with Ross and a senior U.S. team in Beijing early this month, and will head the Chinese delegation to Washington this week.

Ross dismissed claims the dispute could erupt into an all-out trade war that could cut U.S. economic growth and create inflation.

“There is no real world circumstance where China could cut our GDP” by 1 percent, he said.

“China sells us far more than we sell them. They would run out of targets for tariffs much sooner than we would.”

And raising the stakes would come at a cost to China, especially if it ramps up tariffs on agricultural goods.

But even a tit-for-tat escalation “will not be economically life-threatening to us,” he said.Speech

Click to play

0:00/-:--

+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.