Jiji Press TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The government revised on Wednesday its death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Hokkaido from 44 to 41, the same number given by the prefectural government.
The revision comes as the prefectural government reported that three deaths in the city of Sapporo have not been recognized as earthquake-related, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said at a press conference.
The National Police Agency previously reported that the three deaths may have been caused by the earthquake, Suga said.
Suga did not apologize for the difference between the central government’s figure and the prefectural government’s number. “We don’t believe that we made a mistake,” he said.
Prefectural governments are responsible for collecting information on human casualties in times of natural disasters. This time, the central and Hokkaido prefectural governments have released their own death tolls separately.Speech