Navigation

Suga, Pompeo discuss N. Korea issues

Jiji Press WASHINGTON (Jiji Press) — Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo agreed Thursday that their countries will work closely to analyze and take responses to North Korea’s recent firing of projectiles believed to be short-range missiles.

Suga, now visiting the United States, also confirmed the policy in a separate meeting with Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan.

In addition, Suga and the senior U.S. government officials agreed to work together toward achieving an early resolution to the issue of abductions of Japanese nationals by North Korea.

“We agreed to fully implement U.N. Security Council sanctions resolutions against North Korea,” Suga told reporters after the day’s meetings in Washington.

In his talks with Pompeo, Suga explained Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s determination to resolve the abduction issue through a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Earlier this week, Abe said in his telephone talks with U.S. President Donald Trump that he will seek to hold a summit with Kim without preconditions.

Suga and Pompeo also confirmed that Japan and the United States will continue to work with South Korea, China, Russia and the international community to realize North Korea’s complete and verifiable denuclearization.

Speech

Click to play

0:00/-:--

+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.