Navigation

S. African govt vows appeal in Semenya case

The Associated PressSouth Africa’s track federation will appeal against the Caster Semenya ruling, the country’s sports ministry said Monday.

The government ministry said two of the three judges who heard the case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport were “conflicted,” facts were ignored and track and field’s governing body was given “unfettered latitude” to do as it pleases.

Athletics South Africa, the governing body of track and field in the country, was one of two parties alongside Semenya to take the IAAF to court to challenge its testosterone regulations in female competitions.

The IAAF won the case and last week rules came into effect requiring the Olympic 800-meter champion from South Africa and other female athletes with “differences of sex development” conditions and high levels of natural testosterone to medically lower them to be eligible to compete in events from 400 meters to the mile.

At a Diamond League track meet in Qatar two days after losing the case, the 28-year-old Semenya said she would not take medication and follow the rules.

Athletics South Africa declined to comment Monday on any appeal and Semenya’s lawyers have also not confirmed any appeal.

Still, sports ministry spokesman Vuyo Mhaga insisted that ASA made the decision to appeal and the ministry had merely been informed by ASA of the move.

Speech

Click to play

0:00/-:--

+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.