Transport chaos caused by strongest typhoon in Japan’s metropolitan area

The Yomiuri Shimbun

An aerial photo taken at 9:40 a.m. on Monday shows a golf range’s fence collapsed atop houses in Ichihara, Chiba Prefecture.

The Yomiuri ShimbunHeavy rain and winds pummeled the Kanto region on Monday as Typhoon No. 15 made landfall near Chiba at around 5 a.m.

According to data collected by The Yomiuri Shimbun, one person was killed in Tokyo and at least 36 people were injured in Chiba and other prefectures as one of the strongest typhoons ever to hit the region made landfall. Railway companies in the Tokyo metropolitan area announced in advance the suspension of operations from the first train.

It was the first typhoon to hit the Kanto region in three years.

Maximum wind speeds of 57.5 meters per second were recorded in Chuo Ward, Chiba, and record wind speeds were recorded in a total of 15 locations in Tokyo and three prefectures.

The tall fence of a golf driving range in Ichihara, Chiba Prefecture, collapsed, hitting the roofs of neighboring properties. In Tokyo, a woman in her 50s found collapsed on a street in Setagaya Ward, Tokyo, was taken to a hospital where she was later confirmed to have died. Police think the woman may have suffered a head injury after being blown off her feet by the strong winds.

There were reports of two serious injuries and at least 34 people suffered minor injuries in Tokyo and 5 prefectures. According to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, about 330,000 people in about 140,000 households in four prefectures, including Ibaraki, were advised or instructed to evacuate as of 8 a.m. Monday.

East Japan Railway Co. (JR East) and other private railway companies suspended operations from the first train. Services had resumed on many lines between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. Some sections of the Tokaido Shinkansen line were also suspended from the first train.

As of noon Monday, 104 domestic and five international flights on Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways had been canceled.

At least 43 sections of expressways in the Kanto region, including the Tokyo Bay Aqua Line and Ken-o Expressway, were closed. The typhoon had passed over the Kanto region by noon.

Slide 1 of 2


  • The Yomiuri Shimbun

    Many commuters wait at JR Urawa station in Saitama on Monday.

  • The Yomiuri Shimbun

    A collapsed scaffold on a multistory parking space is seen at Haneda Airport in Ota Ward, Tokyo, on Monday.

Power outages also occurred across the Tokyo metropolitan area.

There were disruptions to NTT Docomo Inc. mobile phone services on Monday morning in parts of Tokyo, Kanagawa and three other prefectures, due to power outages and other factors.Speech

Click to play


+ -

Generating speech. Please wait...

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Become a Premium Member to use this service.

Offline error: please try again.